Reporting definitions and scenarios
This article talks all about reporting definitions. These metrics are part of the Conversation, Productivity, Team, and Docs reports.
In this article
Number of conversations touched (received, replied to, status changed, assigned, workflow activated on), excluding spam and deleted conversations.
Number of conversations created by customers or Users, excluding spam and deleted conversations.
Number of messages (emails and chats) received from customers. Each customer thread in a conversation counts towards this total.
Number of customers with conversations created or updated in the specified time period. We calculate the Customers metric by unique email addresses writing into your Help Scout Account.
Conversations per Day
Average number of new or updated (replied to, status changed, assigned, workflow activated on) conversations.
Day of the week with the highest number of new conversations on average.
Across all days, this is the 3-hour window with the most new conversations on average.
We look at a single "bucket" of conversations for all the response time metrics in the Productivity report. If you run a report looking at January 1st through January 15th, all conversations replied to or resolved in the time period will be included in the report. Response Time and First Response Time metrics are only pulled from Resolved conversations.
We don't provide the office hours filter to exclude conversation activity, but rather to see the Response/Resolution times within the context of office hours.
The average amount of time a customer is waiting for a response from your team.
- Response time is only counted if/when you reply to the customer. If the conversation has no replies, no response times are calculated.
- If you send a reply after 45 minutes, the response time is 45 minutes.
- Assigning, status changes, updating tags or adding notes do not impact response time at all.
- If you reply after 45 minutes, then send additional replies to the customer before they respond, only the first response is counted towards average response time.
- If the customer replies twice before you reply, response time is calculated from the first customer reply to the time a User replies.
- Response time is not calculated for a new conversation created by a User. If/when the customer responds, response time will be counted for your next User reply.
First Response Time
The average amount of time a customer is waiting for the first reply from your team; subsequent response times are not included.
Conversation has at least one User reply and a Closed status; a conversation can only be resolved once.
- If User A replies and closes a conversation, then the customer replies, then User B replies and closes the conversation, User B has resolved it.
- If a User creates a conversation, the customer replies and the User closes it without a reply, the conversation is not subject to resolution metrics. A conversation cannot be Resolved by being created, nor by closing without a Reply from a User.
The average amount of time it takes from the time a conversation is created to the time it is resolved.
- If a customer replies to a conversation (often a “Thanks” reply) and it is closed with no User reply necessary, the resolution happens on the last User reply.
Resolved on First Reply
Percentage of conversations that are resolved after one reply, as opposed to those requiring multiple replies or no reply at all.
- If there are two User replies and the customer only has the original thread, it is not resolved on the first reply.
Number of replies sent from Users to customers.
This represents the time from when you press the Reply button to the time you press Send. If you save a draft and come back to it several times, only the final visit before sending will be captured as the handle time. Handle time is also calculated for new conversations.
Team and User Report
Any conversations touched in the time period, that the User has also touched. This metric is not displaying any conversations touched by the User in the given time period.
- If a user touches a ticket on Jan 1, then another user touches it on Jan 3, and you run a report for user 1 on Jan 3, the ticket they touched on Jan 1 will show up.
- We don’t have a way to only show that conversation if they touched that thread in the timeframe. It will show up if the conversation was updated in that timeframe.
Number of customers your team has replied to; notes, status changes and assignments do not count towards this number. Customers are calculated by unique email addresses that land in your Help Scout inbox.
The number of conversations closed in the filtered time period. Whereas Resolved requires a reply, this metric applies to all Closed conversations. Since conversations can be closed multiple times, only the final close is considered for this metric.
- It will not include tickets opened before and closed after the report time range.
- If a ticket is closed multiple times in the time range, it will only count once.
- If a ticket is closed during a time range and then closed again outside the time range, it will not count.
Replies / Day / User
Total number of replies sent per day, divided by the number of Users on your team.
The Conversation History section (table of conversations) in which the User created a thread of some sort.
- If you filter the Conversation History by Closed and compare that count to the Closed metric, they could be different. The history will show all conversations the User was involved with, whether they closed the conversations or not.
- The Closed metric is only the conversations closed by the User.
A visit is counted for every unique session on your Docs site that takes place within a 6-hour period. Visits more than 6 hours apart would count as two visits.
Articles viewed per visit
Number of articles viewed by a person in a given session on the website. A session ends once they are no longer active on the site for 30 minutes.
Do merged conversations count as one or two conversations?
If you merge a conversation, it counts only as one conversation.
Are merged replies counted?
If both conversations have replies, all replies are counted and represented in the Conversations number.
How are saved replies counted?
When you insert one saved reply, we'll chalk it up as one count. If you customize the same reply, it still counts, and if you add multiple saved replies within one message, we'll count each separately.