In this article
What it does
There are two sides to the Help Scout + Salesforce integration: the Salesforce App (pulls in data from Help Scout) and the Help Scout App (pulls in data from Salesforce). The Help Scout App can operate independently of the Salesforce App, however, the Salesforce App requires the Help Scout App to be installed to function properly.
NEW Conversation Activity - When satisfaction ratings are received, or when new conversations are created Help Scout will now send those events to Salesforce. They'll become part of your Lead, Contact, or Opportunity activity history. You can enable these events from the Salesforce settings page in Help Scout.
Leveraging Visualforce components, you'll be able to view Conversation history on four types of records in Salesforce: Accounts, Contacts, Leads and Opportunities. This is what it looks like:
When you load one of these records, the App will do a lookup of all email addresses associated with the record (Account/Contact/Lead/Opportunity) and pull in relevant conversation history. Easy peasy, right?
Help Scout App
In Help Scout, the Salesforce section in the sidebar can pull all sorts of relevant data from Salesforce, all of which is customizable.
- Three types of records: Account, Contact and Lead records. Help Scout will lookup all records associated with the customer's email address and add them to the sidebar. If more than one is found, you'll see a dropdown and can select the one you'd like to view.
- Fields (default and custom ones) associated with the record. In the App Settings, you'll be able to select which fields to display in the sidebar.
- Depending on the record type, you'll be able to view up to five types of data:
- Open Activities (includes tasks)
- Activity History (includes tasks)
Here's an example of what the sidebar data would look like. There's a dropdown on the top when multiple records are found for the customer:
- Salesforce Professional or Enterprise Edition with API access - API access is an add-on for Professional, but is included in the Enterprise version. If you aren't sure if your Org has API access, you can check by clicking on
Setup (top right of screen), then click on the System Administrator profile. About halfway down the page in the "Administrative Permissions" section, verify that the API Enabled box is checked:
- Help Scout Plus - The integration is available for companies on the Help Scout Plus plan.
- You'll see a Salesforce app in Help Scout under Manage --> Apps (or you can click this link). Click the Install App link, which will have you login to Salesforce and authorize the connection with Help Scout.
After signing in, you'll see a Settings page, where you can select which Mailboxes to include and what data to display.
On the Fields tab, you can select the fields to show in the Help Scout sidebar. We'll pull in the standard Salesforce fields AND your Organization's custom fields.
Next, it's time to install the latest Salesforce package in your company's account. On the Settings tab, there's a green box with a button that says Install Help Scout for Salesforce. Click that to open the package in a new window.
We recommend installing it for All Users:
- In Salesforce, open an existing Account, Contact, Lead or Opportunity record and click the
Edit Layout link.
Note: This is what you'd do in Salesforce Classic. If you are using the Lightning Experience, please do the following:
- Open All Setup:
- Then, from the left sidebar, click on Objects and Fields and then Object Manager:
- Next select a record type (Account, Contact, Lead or Opportunity):
You'll be adding this component to all record types, so the order in which you setup the component doesn't matter.
- Once the page loads, click on Page Layouts:
- Finally, select the page layout you would like to add the component to.
Now you can proceed to the next step.
Find the Section option, which is located just under the Quick Find bar, and is outlined in red below. Click and drag the Section option and drop it wherever you'd like to embed conversation history from Customers. Name the section Conversations (or whatever you prefer), select 1-Column in the Layout section, then click the OK button.
In the top gray box, click the Quick Save button.
In the left pane of the gray layout box, scroll to the bottom and select Visualforce Pages. Choose the HelpScoutOnBLANK (BLANK being the record type you are updating) component from the options to the right. Now drag and drop this component into the Conversations section we just created in Step 8.
Now scroll down to the Visualforce component you just created and click the wrench icon to edit the component's properties.
We recommend a width of 100%, a height of 600px. You will also want to select the checkbox that says, "Show scrollbars". Then you are all set.
In the top gray box, click the Quick Save button again.
Now all that's left to do is repeat steps 4-10 for all the other types of records. Remember this component is available for Accounts, Contacts, Leads and Opportunities.
Removing the App
Open the App in Help Scout and click the Uninstall App button:
In Salesforce, first remove the Visualforce components from each of the record types you have set up (Account/Contact/Lead/Opportunity). To do this you need to:
- Open the record type and click the Edit Layout link:
- Remove the Help Scout Visualforce component by clicking the delete button:
Now, please follow the same process and remove the Visualforce components for all other record types.
In Salesforce, click on Setup, then Installed Packages. Click the Uninstall link for the Help Scout App:
On the next page, you'll have to confirm the removal of the app and all of its content. Once you click the Uninstall button, you'll be all set!
After uninstalling, you'll see the package appear in the " Uninstalled Packages" section, right underneath. You'll need to delete this uninstalled package:
Once you've deleted the uninstalled package, you'll be all set!