Getting Started: 6 steps to setup success
Follow these 6 steps and you’ll get your Help Scout account up and running in no time.
- By the end of step 3: You’ll be up and ready to serve customers
- By the end of step 6: Your team will be smiling and at their most productive.
The 6 steps to setup success
- Forward copies of your email into Help Scout
- Customize your Mailbox
- Collaborate with a friend
- Get organized and optimized
- Integrate your favorite apps
- What’s up, Docs?
Step 1. Forward copies of your email into Help Scout
Step 2. Customize your Mailbox
Focus on the top two options for this step:
You can send mail from Help Scout in two ways:
Send with our servers:
- Pros: We’ll make sure your email gets successfully delivered. If you suspect a problem, our world class support team is there to help you investigate.
- Cons: You’ll need to give us permission to send your mail with your DNS to prevent your emails from landing in spam.
If you go this route, we recommend setting up an SPF record with your DNS to protect your emails from landing in the jaws of spam folders.
Send with your own servers, either by SMTP or Google oAuth:
- Pros: No need to give us permission, you’re sending your own mail! Your emails run the least risk of landing in spam.
- Cons: If something goes wrong, you’re on your own for investigating. You’ll need to check your own send logs and DIY everything.
Step 3. Collaborate with a friend
You have two options:
Work through real conversations sent from your forwarder
Maybe you like to live dangerously, or maybe you just need to get to work ASAP. Work through conversations that come in from your forwarder and replies will go out to customers. It’s go time!
Play around with the Demo Mailbox
Stuck on what to play with? Here’s some stuff to try:
- Add a note
- Assign a conversation to your friend, and check out your default Mailbox folders
- Change the status on a conversation to Pending or Closed, and see how that affects where the conversation goes in your folders.
- @mention your friend and check out the notification station
- Change your redirect settings on Send Reply or Add Note to find your ideal flow
- Pop in the same conversation at the same time to check out Traffic Cop
- Start a New Conversation
Step 4. Get organized and optimized
When should I use a Tag?
When should I use a Folder?
When should I use both?
How can I make all this less work?
Step 5. Integrate your favorite apps
- Chat Integrations: Bring your chat history into Help Scout so your team has all customer interactions under the same roof. We sync with Olark, SnapEngage, Chatra, and more.
- Phone: Manage voicemails from several popular providers, or connect a call center software like Aircall or TalkDesk if you need something more robust.
- CRM: Sync your sales and support efforts by connecting your CRM to Help Scout conversations. Capsule and Pipedrive are the most popular.
- Social, SMS, SDK: If your team rocks social support, SMS, or has explored the world of in-app messaging, our Smooch integration will be your new best friend: Smooch (we use this for FB messenger and our mobile app contact)
- Slack: Our most popular integration by far, and really in a league of it’s own. Bring incoming conversation into a Slack channel for immediate alerts, as well as customer satisfaction ratings and comments. It’s essential: Slack (We also have a similar HipChat or Campfire integrations that work the same way for our early adopter group chat system friends)
- Ecommerce: Shopify, WooCommerce, and Magento. Get your customer’s order information connected to every Help Scout conversation. That’s what we have in store for your store.
- Custom Apps: Maybe Todd in IT hacked together some internal management system years ago, or Beth in ops found a perfect CMS solution for you a little off the beaten path. Connect with all the oddball internal systems or anything your heart desires with a Custom App: Build a Custom App.
- Requires slightly above average technical knowledge, just FYI.