Change User roles and mailbox permissions
Occasionally, you may need to change up some of your Users' roles or their permission sets to give them access to more or less settings and features. This article is all about User roles and mailbox permissions.
In this article
User roles explained
- The person who signs up for the account is known as the Account Owner. Only account owners have access to billing and plan information. If you need to pass ownership to another team member, you can either transfer it within your account or send us an email.
- Users can also be Administrators. Administrators have access to all mailboxes, available settings, and are able to create and edit users. Administrators also have ability to manage Docs Settings, Collections, and Categories.
- A User only has access to the mailboxes specified by Administrators. In addition, regular Users are not able to create or edit other Users, and do not have access to change mailbox settings. Users can create and edit Docs Articles, but cannot manage Docs Settings.
Changing User roles
If a User's role ever needs to be changed, an Administrator can do so at any time.
Manage → Users, and select the User's tile whose role you'd like to switch.
Once on their profile page, click on
Role drop-down menu, and select the role you'd like to change it to.
- Don't forget to hit the blue Save Profile button, and you'll receive a green confirmation message that the settings have been saved!
As an Administrator, you can modify individual user settings from Manage → Users according to what works best for your company. Things you can modify include basic profile information, mailbox settings, and User notifications. You can also set up Auto Bcc, generate an API key, or create an app for Mailbox API 2.0.
On the Company settings page, you can edit some additional permissions, like whether or not:
- Users are allowed to delete notes/conversations
- Users are allowed to edit notes/threads
- Users are allowed to manage saved replies
- Users are allowed to export reporting data
- Users are allowed to manage tags
- Users are allowed to manage workflows
If you're on the Plus plan, you can also decide whether:
- Users are allowed to manage custom fields
- Users are allowed to manage teams
Keep in mind whatever you select here will apply to all Users and mailboxes.
Can I prevent Users from replying to conversations or adding notes?
Afraid not! All Users have permission to reply to any conversation or add notes within the mailbox they have access to.