Understand conversation icons and colors
This article talks a bit about the different interface elements you'll see while putzing around in Help Scout. Let's take a look!
In this article
You’ll spend quite a bit of time mashing icons on the toolbar as you work through a conversation. To figure out what’s what, just mouse-over each icon. From left to right:
Reply ⋅ Note ⋅ Assign ⋅ Status ⋅ Tag ⋅ More Actions
Just below the toolbar icons is the subject line. You can edit the conversation subject by clicking anywhere on the text. To the far right, you’ll see the conversation number, followed by the conversation’s current status. The two arrow icons above the status indicator take you to the previous or next conversation.
In Help Scout, there are three values for conversation status:
- Active conversations indicate the conversation needs attention. New conversations are automatically set as Active when they arrive in your mailbox.
- Pending conversations are waiting on something. Set a conversation to Pending if you’re waiting to hear back from a customer, or you just need to time to gather more information.
- Closed conversations are solved conversations. Set the status to Closed when you’re finished working with the customer, and you consider the case to be resolved.
If a customer replies back to a Pending or Closed conversation, the status will automatically be changed to Active. It’s not possible to edit existing status options, or add custom values to the status menu. We suggest using tags for that.
Conversation thread colors
Conversations can be colorful! You’ll notice a couple of different border colors, each representing a different type of thread:
- Customer replies have a white background with no border.
- User replies always have a grey border.
- Drafts are represented by a blue border.
- Notes are represented by a yellow border.